Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Sweet Memories from Dallas

One of the great things about going to the IACP Annual Conference is to be able to explore and experience local food. During last year´s trip to Dallas, my group discovered La Duni Bakery, a Latin American Bakery and Café whose owners are from Venezuelan origin. Dunia Borga, the pastry Chef, has won numerous awards and her bakery is said to serve the best desserts in Dallas.

We had a long breakfast meeting there on our first day in Dallas at the shop on Oak Street. I still remember clearly their beautifully displayed Cuatro Leches Wedding Cake frosted with Swiss Meringue and laced with Arequipe Sauce. Today, I taught my pastry students how to make this cake. I enjoyed every step of the process, not only because I was looking forward to admire the final result, but because it brought back happy memories of great times shared with my dear friends from IACP.

For the recipe, visit La Duni´s recipe index. A bit of advice: make only half of the Tres Leches mix, it´s more than enough for one cake. And if you´re ever in the Dallas area, make sure to visit them and try some of their delicious savory and sweet Latin American food.

by Elena Hernandez
Panama

No comments: